Para NB – Sport & Recreation (Para NB) is a provincial program offered by Ability NB, in partnership with the Department of Tourism, Heritage, and Culture, Department of Education & Early Childhood Development, many foundations and many community partners. The Para NB program involves working with persons with a physical disability, Provincial Sport Organizations (PSOs), disability organizations, sport clubs, schools, recreation organizations and facilities to build capacity and lead the development and coordination of a system that engages New Brunswickers with a physical disability in parallel (para) sport and recreation.
- To increase access to and involvement in para sport and recreation of persons with a physical disability (mobility and/or vision) throughout NB from awareness and first contact through to the active for life stages of Canadian Sport for Life. The primary focus is on the first three and the last stage of the Long Term Athlete Development Model.
- To increase the involvement, awareness and support of sport and recreation organizations in para sport and recreation.
- To increase the knowledge and awareness of the universal design and operation of recreation and sport facilities.
- To support the development and increased number of trained and certified coaches and leaders actively working in para sport and recreation.
- To support building a sustainable para sport and recreation system in New Brunswick.
- To increase access to adaptive equipment and devices through the provincial equipment loan service.
- To increase cross-sector partnerships in sport and recreation and work in collaboration with other sectors such as education, wellness, and health.
Inclusion: promote fairness and equity in, and access to, sport and recreation participation and facilities for persons with a physical disability so that all members of the community celebrate diversity and experience belonging, empowerment, autonomy and recognition.
Education: advise the development of programs that teach fundamental movement skills as well as well-designed infrastructure and facility operations that encourage active living for life, social interaction and mental well-being through sport, recreation and physical education.
Betterment: promote teamwork, leadership, sportsmanship, and the achievement of personal goals and pursuit of excellence through competitive and non-competitive opportunities.
Healthy Lifestyle: promote stress management as well as the pursuit of a balanced and healthy life through the availability of facilities for personal fitness, club activities and informal recreation.
Collaboration: engage and seek partnerships with sport and recreation organizations, all levels of government, schools, volunteers, and stakeholders in collaborative efforts that provide a sustainable quality of life for persons with a physical disability.
The successful partnership of the New Brunswick Department of Early Education & Childhood Development, Tourism Heritage and Culture, charitable foundations along with all our community partners has resulted in the sustainability of the Para NB – Sport & Recreation program at Ability NB. Working together is beneficial as these organizations are able to draw on resources and expertise in a complimentary way, share ideas, skills and knowledge and work towards the common goal of leading the development and coordination of a system that engages New Brunswickers with a physical disability in para sport, recreation and active living. Para NB – Sport & Recreation will continue to strive to strengthen partnerships with recreation and sport organizations, recreation facilities and disability organizations throughout the province.
We believe that a positive, fun and safe first contact experience with para sport and recreation activities will lead to more active involvement. Engaging persons with a physical disability in para sport and recreation will also lead to more New Brunswickers who are able to enjoy greater physical, mental and social health benefits within their community.
Awareness & Participation
We believe in providing more opportunities for persons with a physical disability to participate in sport, recreation and active living activities. Creating more awareness of opportunities among New Brunswickers through promotion of information and increasing the knowledge of potential participants will lead to increased participation of participants, coaches, officials and leaders.
Partnership & Collaboration
We believe that forming and maintaining strong, long-term partnerships with key individuals and organizations will contribute to the success of para sport and recreation programs in New Brunswick. These partnerships will create more opportunities to educate participants and athletes, create more awareness of opportunities to participate, increase capacity of programs and enhance communication within the sport and recreation communities.
Leadership & Excellence
We believe that everyone should have the opportunity to participate, compete and pursue personal excellence in sport and recreation and that those who do have the potential to become leaders in sport and recreation and experts in their field or chosen activity.